“Cardiac rehabilitation is the process by which patients with cardiac disease, in partnership with a multidisciplinary team of health professionals, are encouraged and supported to achieve and maintain optimal physical and psychosocial health”.
British Association of Cardiac Rehabilitation, 2002 (now known as British Association of Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation – www.bacpr.com).
“Heart Smart” is a unique therapeutic cardiac rehabilitation programme at The Sherwood Clinic aiming to achieve healing by working on physical and psychosocial aspects of health. It is a programme tailored for your individual needs and supports you in making those lifestyle changes at the right time when you need it most! It is aimed to enable you to regain your full potential after the heart trauma. Our programme is recognized by BACPR and British Heart Foundation (BHF).
The cardiac rehabilitation programme “Heart smart” has been set up by Sushma Sanghvi, the consultant physiotherapist at The Sherwood Clinic. Sushma has a vast experience in working with cardiac patients, having set up the Cardiac rehabilitation Services at Barnet and Edgware Hospitals back in the 1990’s and later at Northwick Park Hospital, Harrow. Sushma also led a British Heart Foundation funded cardiac rehab project for London Borough of Barnet in 1995. Sushma has been the secretary of the Association of the Chartered Physiotherapists in Cardiac Rehabilitation from 2002-2010.
What does “Heart Smart” involve?
It is suitable for people who suffer with angina, have had a heart attack, angioplasty and stent, bypass surgery or a valve surgery.
- A comprehensive cardiac assessment by a cardiac rehabilitation specialist.
- A functional Capacity Test pre and post programme.
- An individualized exercise programme suitable for your needs.
- Advice and help on modification of diet and nutrition, smoking cessation, cardiac medication throughout the programme.
- Review of the risk factors for the heart disease and their modification.
- Ongoing support for making those lifestyle changes e.g. smoking, diabetic control, physical activity, resuming sex life.
Facilities include fully equipped on-site rehab gym, changing and shower facilities, audio-visual facilities for interactive education sessions. The clinic has wheelchair access. The Cardiac Rehabilitation Exercise programme, “Hear Smart” is delivered professionally at a very modest charge.
Do contact The Sherwood Clinic to find more information and to book your appointment.